04 October 2006

panda head features...

name: Alexandra Laurier
age: 22
occupation: Production Assistant, “Foreign Exchange with Fareed Zakaria"

describe your personal style.
I guess my style is kind of all over the place. I think my favorite thing is when you see little kids who've obviously dressed themselves- and they look totally crazy but really proud of themselves- I'd like to be more like that and just have fun with whatever I'm wearing. And I really like stripes and polka dots. And dresses.

what’s a current trend you like and one you dislike? why?
I'm really happy that people are starting to dress up again- I love dresses and I really like the new cuts and shapes this season. Dresses are just easier to wear- you only have to worry about one piece of clothing. I still love jeans though, and I'm happy that skinnier styles are back. I'm a little worried that once everyone starts wearing them, things'll get ugly...

your favorite local shops? favorite chain stores? any frequent ebay searches?
I shop at Nana, Junction, Meeps, Pop, and Polly Sue's. I get basics and new stuff from American Apparel and H&M. And if I had the money, Barney's Co-op and Muleh. No ebay- I like shopping too much- but I do go on petfinder.com all the time to look at canine americans.

any discrepancy between dressing for work and how you dress on your own time?
I have a hard time at work because I like being really dressed up or just in jeans. I try, but it's hard to dress kind of conservatively and still look ok. Everyone in DC has their work wardrobe and their fun wardrobe- a salesman in Neiman's told me that!

how would you define ‘fashionable’ or ‘stylish?'
I like to see people who have fun and are excited about their clothes- even if it's something I'd never wear! Like Dolly Parton, not for me and kind of ridiculous, but she's amazing! I also think that no matter what you're wearing, you should know your body type and find cuts that look good.

style inspirations?
Lou Doillon, Kate Moss, David Bowie, Mick and Bianca Jagger, Jane Birkin, Sofia Coppola, Faye Dunaway…I love the Sartorialist, and Pandahead, obviously.

if you had unlimited funds what would you buy for this season?
If I had money... Marc Jacobs tunic mini dress, Balenciaga pants, Hermes two-toned riding boots, Jeffrey Campbell ankle boots... there's too much, this is making me sad!

your take on DC fashion/style and its perception?
I grew up in DC, so I know all about its bad style…the good thing about [that] is that it forces you to be more creative with how you dress. You can't just run out to the nearest store and buy something and look great the way you can in LA or NYC. You have to work a little more, but I think that makes someone's style a lot more interesting.

top picture- gold dress: polly sue's. "I love it...I never get to wear it!" bottom picture - jeans: express, boots: rerun (takoma park), belt: nana, jacket: thrift, t-shirt: kathleen shafer. t-shirt was a recent crafty bastards purchase!

every two weeks or so panda head would like to feature a local someone with great personal style...if you think that you or someone you know should be featured here send your nominations and contact info to panda_head_blog@yahoo.com.


Anonymous el harto said...

this is a really great idea. makes pandahead stand out from the rest of the facehunter-style websites. at least the ones i've seen. yay.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous jian said...

oh man. what a novel idea.

by the way, congrats on the suzanna d'mato shout-out in the post!


2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree, this is a great idea and i especially love the shop recommendations--some of my favorites and some new tips too!

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home