18 March 2007

panda head features...

name: Amelia
age: 28
occupation: I make work about animals and I work for animals.
www.sixofslugs.com

how would you describe your style?
I consider getting dressed an opportunity to have fun and be subtly funny...so I guess "tongue in cheek" would be the appropriate phrase.
do you pay attention to trends? how do you stay current?
I do pay attention to trends, as fashion history is as interesting (cycle-wise) as any other type of history! I stay current by watching the people around me. I do a lot of reading too. In terms of what I chose to wear, sometimes I'm into what's hott, sometimes I'm not. If something trendy is something that I have been wanting for a long time, then I am very happy to have the chance to stock up.
where do you like to shop?
I "window shop" online the most; on chain retail sites, independent designers' sites and independent boutique sites. Beauty Island on Columbia Road has always been a local favorite, just because they carried comfortable inexpensive bright red tights and bright red knee socks when I was 20 years old, and they still do now. They are also good for faux bling. eBay is very good for when you want to replace that favorite expensive pair of jeans that you could only afford to buy once in your life at a fraction of the cost!
what's your absolute favorite item of clothing?
My favorite item of clothing was a semi-transparent multi-layer white Swiss cotton dress with red and green flowers, lace, and teeny tiny ric rac. I made it in 2002, let it hibernate for a while, and then finally reconstructed it in 2005. It took me three years to get it perfect. I lost it in Hurricane Katrina, and I'm very sentimental about it.
what inspires you, style-wise?
My all-time fashion icon is Jeannette from the Chippettes (Alvin and the Chipmunks), as she was very bookish and disheveled in a charming, feminine way. Currently, I am very inspired by the characters "Shane" on the L-Word and "Jackie" on that 70's show.
any favored designers?
Valerie Soles of Dear Birthday is my favorite local designer. Her clothes are very distinctive, not too young or too old, can be worn as casual or dressy, and are skillfully crafted.
if money was no concern, what would you splurge on?
Knitwear from the Beckerman sisters.
how would YOU define 'stylish?'
I think stylish describes a person who knows what clothes make them feel happy and comfortable, and wears exactly that.
what's your take on DC style, in general?
One thing I truly appreciate about DC is that there are people here from different places for many different reasons with their own different styles. I wish that more of the laid back/relaxed attitude to dressing that I see in the spring/summer here could carry over to fall and winter.

interview and photo: morgan. amelia wears a top by dear birthday and the most excellent pair of pants i think i've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

1 Comments:

Anonymous hanvnah said...

I remember those pants, late '90s Delias. I always wanted them.

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home