20 April 2007

panda head interviews...

jessica reynoza is 1/4 of the willowz, a band hailing from anaheim, california that for the last several years has been lumped in (along with a bunch of others that came about around the same time - the white stripes, the vines, etc.) under the heading 'garage revival.' though they're well known for their contributions to michel gondry's 'eternal sunshine...' and 'science of sleep' soundtracks, it's their full-lengths that separate them from their peers - 'the willowz are coming' and the much acclaimed 'talk in circles' show a heavy and unique influence of punk, blues, and pop that makes for well-rounded rock and roll. their latest album, the folk-tinged 'chautauqua,' was just released on dim mak. pick it up sunday night when the willowz play the red and the black with panda head BFF's new rock church of fire.

how would you describe your style?
My style is a perfect expression of my age, gender, personality, career, growing up in Anaheim, and unlike most people I put a little effort into it. I guess some people like my style.
do you pay attention to trends? how do you stay current?
I do pay attention to trends because it is super interesting to see how quickly people grab on to the trends and what lengths people will go to keep up with them. Sometimes it will be the worst trend and it is so funny to see what people will do to be ordinary. I don't really care about staying current with them, but if there is one that I think is fitting to my personal style then I might look into it a little more.
what are your wardrobe staples?
1. tights- I love all colors of tights and I like wearing them with my dresses and skirts.
2. boots- I love my big black boots and wear them with everything.
3. headbands- they just make your hair look great when you are having a frizzy hair day.
4. jeans- Southern California girls always have jeans on. ahhaha.
5. short dress- looks good with them tights.
6. leather suede jacket- looks good over anything.
7. flats- I like them in all colors.
8. necklaces- I can't seem to get away from them.
how do you pack for tour?
I pack all my wardrobe staples and if I can fit anything else I squeeze it in. I tend to pack very light in a small suitcase. I noticed in the past that I would over-pack and not even wear half the stuff I packed, so I just take what I need and I don't mind wearing the same clothes over and over.
does what you wear on stage differ from what you wear off stage?
Not really, I love dressing up all the time. I think the only thing different from my on stage and off stage is maybe my hair and makeup. I like to look over glamorous on stage and when I am off stage I just lay back a little and let the sun hit my face.
who or what do you find inspiring, style-wise?
1. birds
2. butterflies
3. tropical fish
4. Heidi Follin
5. flowers
6. Kim Gordon
7. sea shells
8. Courtney Love
9. precious stones
10. Dita von Teese
11. Gwen Stefani
12. ceramic cats
13. Marilyn Monroe
14. puppies
do you have any favored designers?
I really really like Marc Jacobs' designs even though I can't afford any of the clothes he makes. I like his designs because it reminds me of how I like to dress - a little of the past mixed with the present. Maybe one day he will make some stuff for me and I will be so ever happy.
My other favorite designer is Betsey Johnson - everything she designs reminds me of when I first got into fashion when I was in highschool and [I] like the idea of keeping a childlike perspective when expressing oneself in style. They are the two designers that remind me of rock n' roll when it comes to fashion.
do you make or customize any of your own clothing?
Sometimes I like to draw a picture of myself on a plain t-shirt and wear it, or if I have an old vintage dress from a thrift store that is too long I get out my scissors and make it short. That is about as close as I get to customizing.
what city do you find to be the most stylish?
New York city - I lived there for about two months and I absolutely loved how the people there really put effort into what they wore when they went out into the street. It made the crowded city visually gratifying.
how would YOU define 'stylish?'
Being able to express who you are through language, fashion, and physical action.

interview: morgan. photo uncredited from the willowz at dim mak. for EVEN MORE willowz, visit them at their website, blogspot, or myspace page.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home