09 August 2007

panda head interviews...

amy domingues is THE cellist in the DC area, and i don't mean she's the ONLY cellist - i mean that she's the only one who matters. she's played on tons of records (for bands from fugazi to fairweather) and manages to do it all while looking incredibly, enviably put-together. while you may have caught her last week with benjy ferree at fort reno, that's no excuse to miss garland of hours (her very own band) tonight at black cat with other DC faves shortstack and kitty hawk.

describe your style.
a mix of thrifted, vintage, and lux pieces (when i can afford them!)
do you pay attention to trends? how do you stay current?
i'd be lying if i said i didn't, but i won't drop a ton of money on trendy stuff - i'll get a few things at Target or Forever 21 instead.
i enjoy fashion magazines, i like W for its hoity-toity-ness although i can't afford anything in there. it's good for ideas which you can translate to stuff at Goodwill and vintage shops. And there are some good blogs out there, like The Sartorialist and PANDAHEAD!!!
what are your wardrobe staples?
last fall/winter it was my vintage maroon boots, leggings, and minidress. that was pretty much my uniform on tour. this spring/summer its all about dresses with flats. I have to do a "cello" test when I go shopping for dresses and skirts. It involves sitting and spreading my knees...I get a lot of funny looks in the dressing room.
how do you pack for tour?
I usually don't take too much because I love to shop when I travel. Shopping usually meaning thrifting. I've been known to mail packages of stuff home because there's not enough room in the van. When I go to Europe I usually pack clothes in my cello case to save space and carry less luggage!
does what you wear onstage differ from what you wear offstage?
It's good to dress up for a show, people are going to look at you and you don't wanna look bad in pictures. I feel better when I'm wearing something which expresses how I feel, just like playing music! So yes, I wear jeans and a t-shirt around the house and around town sometimes, but when I'm playing a show my clothes are part of the experience and part of the creative expression.
what's your favorite item of clothing right now?
i love my Mayle turqoise/gold flat sandals, i also have a white See by Chloe dress I've been wearing with a gold belt. It makes me feel very 70s Riviera-ish.
who or what do you find inspiring, style-wise?
My dear friend Alicia is my fashion icon. She lives in NYC now, but she used to run an amazing store called Niagara back in the day, in Adams Morgan. She pre-dated all of those boutiques on M St. Anytime I am about to make a major purchase I ask her opinion. She manages a high-end designer boutique in Soho.
any favorite designers?
I adore Mayle, Built by Wendy (I've got many past seasons of her stuff), I really am obsessed with those Tory Burch Reva flats right now. I have the black 7-ways Wonder Dress that Leann Trowbridge made at Meeps a few years ago. It's served me well on many occasions!
do you make or customize any of your own clothing?
Yes, I sew. It's been a while since I made a full piece of clothing but generally I like to tailor the stuff I find at thrift stores. I've got short legs so I always have to hem my pants!
what's your take on DC fashion, in general?
I wish people in this town would be more imaginative in general with the way they dress. We live in a paper-pushing town so the overall feel is very conservative. There's a preponderance of the idea of a "uniform" (preferably from the Gap, Banana Republic, and other chain stores). But things are definitely changing for the better, there's definitely more vintage specialty and small boutiques than there used to be.

interview: morgan. photo of garland of hours (with amy front and center) by brian liu; photo of amy at sxsw uncredited from garlandofhours.com. for more on amy and the band, hit them up on myspace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home