24 March 2014


My decor philosophies are many, and my belief in THE FOUND OBJECT is one I hold strongly. I'm also a proponent of walls as a rotating showcase, and from retired band tees to thrifted tennis rackets, there's a way to work just about anything you love + want to look at all the time into your current scheme. Below, SOME THOUGHTS:

3D: In the same way you want to make sure there's a high, a low, and a midpoint in any visual undertaking, a mix of dimensions is important when you're integrating found objects into a wall. Too much dimension and it'll look like the wall is jumping at you; too little and you're FLAT STANLEY. Figure out your smallest and largest pieces, and make sure you hit a full spectrum of depths in between.

MOUNT IT: I'm probably alone in my thumbtack obsession (they're like little jewels; I love them SO MUCH) but there are a million options for hanging both larger and smaller objects. I'm a big fan of all things 3M, and they're a great option if you don't want to eff up your walls (I use these all the time when I'm doing decor installations at FANCY VENUES – my first two questions for any job are always "do you have a ladder" and "can I please use a staple gun"). They're best for lighter-weight pieces: paper, cardboard, textiles, etc. Picture frame nails are more or less invisible for medium-sized objects; they'll disappear under the metal curve of a hanger, or behind a tennis racket. And for larger, more dimensional pieces (branches, etc) I love an L-bracket coupled with a metal drywall anchor.

WORK IN PROGRESS:  Experiment with arrangement and add/subtract items until you've struck a balance – when I'm starting FRESH, I'll trace frames and objects on butcher paper, cut them out, and tape them to the wall so I can get a feel for layout (that's actually how I ended up with that circle – I liked the paper version better than what I was trying to hang in the first place). And don't feel married to what you end up with – I'm constantly swapping out pieces for new ones (or moving things like three inches to the left). Even tiny changes can make a big visual difference, and little refreshes from time to time are, well, REFRESHING.




Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home