22 May 2014


I'm on Day 17 of the Whole30! Never have two weeks felt both so long and so short. One hand I really do feel AMAZING – I've been getting a ton of sleep, been drinking an insane amount of water, and my pants fit MWAH; on the other, I was beatdown-tired on Sunday evening, and not being able to say sayonara to a very long weekend with a glass (or four) of red wine felt cruel and unusual. Tears ensued. So there's that.

Crybaby moments aside, it's been smooth sailing, overall, and especially so after discovering the existence of Cauliflower "Rice." Adapted from Nom Nom Paleo's recipe, it's helpful for rounding out meals with a "grain," and easy to adjust spices for whatever you'll be serving with it (this particular version swayed Mediterranean; I'd love to try it heavy on dill, and alongside salmon). And to assure you that I'm not just on some seventeen-days-in, cloud-nine-hippie-dippy train of wild vegetable-delusion, this won approval + applause from both my sister and my husband. Give it a shot.

CAULIFLOWER "RICE" (serves 4-6)
one head of Cauliflower, chopped
1/2 White or Yellow Onion, diced
2 tbsp Olive Oil
Sea Salt + Pepper to taste
1/2 tsp Cumin (or more to taste)
several sprigs-worth of fresh Mint leaves, chopped
one handful Walnuts, chopped
a Lemon

1. Using a food processor, pulse the cauliflower until fine and riced (resembling the above), scraping down the sides a few times to make sure it's evenly processed.
2. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, then add onion, sea salt, pepper, and cumin. Sautée until soft and fragrant, then add cauliflower. Mix until onions, oil, and spices are distributed evenly, then turn heat to low. When warmed through, transfer cauliflower mixture to a large bowl.
3. Add mint, walnuts, and the juice from half the lemon (or more to taste) to the cauliflower mixture and mix. Top with additional mint, walnuts, olive oil, and lemon juice as desired, and serve.


Labels: , , ,


Blogger Megan M-R said...

LOOKS GOOD. I'm in with the 30 (and beyoooond?)

11:53 AM  
Blogger Panda Head said...

thanks Megan!! I think I'm in it for the LONG HAUL (but ummm, also really looking forward to rejoining the land of occasional cheeses; wine glasses).

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Rebecca said...

So happy to have found your blog! My friend and I are local and write a {newish} DIY lifestyle + event styling blog, www.afetefullife.com. Beth Silverberg mentioned you to us today when we visited her studio for a local shop feature. Nice to find other local DIY-minded folks. Hope the Whole 30 is going well -- I've done a few and we have several Whole30-compliant recipes up on the blog (this one is my favorite: http://www.afetefullife.com/shrimp-summer-rolls-sweetspicy-cashew-sauce/).

8:31 PM  
Blogger Panda Head said...

Thanks for checking things out, Rebecca! LOVE Beth, looking forward to seeing the feature!

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home