02 June 2014


For years our bed was on the floor, sans frame, and it was fine – until one day I decided (arbitrarily, and likely borne of delusion) that adults had bedframes. And so began THE SEARCH. Unwilling to spend much but totally hoping to come across some sort of magical gem, I've probably laid hands on every thrift store/junk shop/estate sale bedframe in the tri-state area. Finally, in March, I was POWER-CRUISING through Ikea (towards the tindra, obviously) when the Duken Bed stopped me in my tracks. The shape was great, and for 150 bucks I felt like I could work with the rest of it. Here's the lowdown on how it became a Brass + Indigo Headboard:

The first to-do was to remove the mesh backing. Meant to be covered with an Ikea-purchased slipcover, it was attached on the backside with thin, metal plates and welded screws. Using a heavy duty blade, I carefully cut around the plates, and then used pliers to pull out the remaining shreds of material. From here, I took everything outside, laid out each piece on the giant cardboard box they all came in, and in an arduously slow process, used about 4 cans of Aged Brass Rustoleum to evenly spray each side of each component. Once everything dried completely, we assembled the frame, then let it ride for like two months while I figured out what I wanted to do with the headboard aspect (here's what it looked like, sans mattress, in the meantime).

With an armful of about 20 2" wide, 4' long cotton indigo strips left over from last month's Topaz + Arrow workshop (see the "related" links below the post for how-to's on these guys), I was finally able to circle back on the project this weekend.

I started by tying a strip to the lower bar of the headboard (level with the boxspring), and then over-under-over-under-over-undered, attaching strips end-to-end as needed, keeping the fabric flat, taut, and even. I made sure to cover the "spine" in the middle of the frame, and in total it only took about 20 minutes to work from one side to the other. I finished by tying off the last strip onto that same lower bar.

I went a SUPER simple route with this and (beyond spray paint + the frame itself), the materials essentially cost zero, so I can totally foresee swapping the headboard textiles seasonally (or whenever I get bored with it). And considering that the body of the headboard is a PRIME shape for creating a loom, I'm already daydreaming about going wild on it with a more permanent, time-consuming version at some point in the future. For now, though, the Indigo is feeling SUMMER PERFECT, and I couldn't be happier to have (finally!) made peace with this aspect of the bedroom.

related: Indigo Tips + Techniques, a trick for fraying fabric strips, and a bedside lamp tutorial.


Labels: , ,


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home