25 August 2014

HOW DO YOU DO: GET YR DENIM ON

Yesterday's Topaz + Arrow workshop was D E N I M focused, and a total blast. We frayed and sanded and bleached and indigo-dyed; per usual our guests were amazing/amazingly creative, and I was way inspired to mess around with their leftovers when the class was done.

I'd cut the sleeves off of this jacket a few Summers ago in search of some biker-babe-denim-MAGIC, but the resulting visuals just felt a little B A S I C. It's one of those pieces I keep around because it could ostensibly be thrown on top of anything, but zzZZZZzzzZZZzzZZZzz, and it's this paragraph AND the vest that's putting me to sleep. You get it. Denim should look loved and worn and broken in – like it's seen a thing or two. It's supposed to TELL A STORY, and this guy wasn't saying all that much.

I used a few leftover denim + leather squares and started the PATCH PROCESS; my goal is to keep adding until it feels like it may have once toured the country in some falling apart, surfboard-filled, Tom-Petty-cassette-playing VW Vanagon. We've still got some work to do, but I'm way into where it's headed.

SHARE ON FACEBOOK | TWITTER | google +

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home