08 September 2014

HOW DO YOU DO: SWEET POTATO + AVOCADO "TOAST"

I'm still on that M O S T L Y  P A L E O kick (never mind the enormous peanut butter cookie I ate this weekend), and I have to say – I don't feel like I'm missing out on much. Pizza, pasta, rice – it's all kinda whatever, and I get down easy with a vegetable counterpart. Unless peanut butter cookies, and definitely unless A V O C A D O  T O A S T.

Because Avocado Toast – in the middle of all these epic end-of-Summer storms, when it's grey outside and you've got a book and a coffee and you've pulled all your sweaters out of your closet because it's September and dammit, you're going to wear something cable-knit, even if you have to crank the A/C to do so – Avocado Toast is perfect. But you know what? So is the Sweet Potato, and in an effort to win ALL THE BATTLES AT ONCE, here's a (seriously) super-easy (and SAVORY) sneak-around.

Sweet Potato + Avocado "Toast"

2 large Sweet Potatoes
1 large Avocado
1 tsp. Olive Oil
Flaked Sea Salt, Crushed Red Pepper, and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
Additional Toppings (Tomatoes, a Poached Egg, Smoked Salmon, etc etc) as desired

1. Pre-heat oven to 400º. Scrub the sweet potatoes (don't peel!), then slice thin – right around 1/4" thick – lengthwise. You'll get the best four pieces for this from the middle sections; just score those and set the rest aside to use in another recipe.
2. Lay slices on a small baking sheet, and drizzle just slightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with flaked sea salt, crushed red pepper, and fresh black pepper to taste, then roast for 20-25 minutes, or until browned, mostly dried through, and crisped on the sides. You'll really want to keep an eye on them for the last ten minutes or so – I actually kicked my oven down to 375º for the last few because I wanted them to be S L I G H T L Y more crisp, but they looked like they were about to just turn B L A C K (PS I'm like a master-level ruiner of the Sweet Potato Chip – especially if your oven runs hot, my suggestion is to keep a close eye on these as you approach the finish line).
3. Remove from the oven and plate; fork on your avocado + any additional toppings, and E A T.

SHARE ON FACEBOOK | TWITTER | google +

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home