11 November 2014

ROMANESCO + ONION IN A TOMATO CURRY SAUCE

R O M A N E S C O ! It's the weirdest, right? I read this weekend that its spirals follow the Fibonacci sequence; it sufficiently SCIENCE-RUINED my brain for the remainder of the day. Not dissimilar to how I get dizzy when I think too hard about  s p a c e  or the  o c e a n  (except I never have the option of EATING space, or the ocean – so yeah. I moved on a little more quickly than I otherwise would have).

I'm such a fan of the  c r u c i f e r o u s , but we have a hard time getting through a whole huge head of cauliflower, etc in a two-person household (if we cook the whole thing the leftovers s m e l l and fuck up the curb appeal of having it for lunch the next day; if I halve or quarter it I rarely find myself coming back to what's left before it starts to lose flavor/get weirder). But the above! Is that not the perfect amount of Romanesco? I don't remember its weight, but it fit in my two little outstretched hands, and I left the Farmer's Market t h r i l l e d to get home and (tiny) basketball-pass it into the oven.

There are a million ways you can ROMANESCO, but at this very moment I'm all about roasting with onions; making a sauce from garlic, curry, wine, and the very last of last of the last of 2014's tomatoes; and tossing and serving, either on its own or over yr own personal carbohydrate happy place (I'm on that quinoa train these days/there's room on board for you, too).

ROMANESCO + ONION IN A TOMATO CURRY SAUCE

1 small head Romanesco Cauliflower, roughly chopped
1/2 onion, diced large
2 cloves Garlic, smashed and diced
1 medium Tomato, blanched + peeled, and diced large
1/2 tsp. Curry Powder
1/2 tsp. Paprika
1/4 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 tsp. Cumin Seed
1 tsp. Whole Grain Mustard
1/4 cup White Wine
Olive Oil
Grapeseed Oil (optional)
Sea Salt and ground White Pepper, to taste

1. Pre-heat oven to 350º. On a baking sheet, spread out romanesco and onion (but don't think about it too much – just toss it all on there; don't worry about even spacing or breaking up the onion, etc). Drizzle lightly with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and white pepper to taste, and place the baking sheet in the oven. Roast 25-30 minutes – romanesco should have bite but be heading towards tender, and the onions should be heading towards translucent, but maintaining a little bit of crunch.
2. In a medium skillet over medium heat, warm a small bit of grapeseed oil (or olive oil). Add garlic and sautée 2-3 minutes (until fragrant); add all spices, mustard, wine, and tomatoes, then sea salt and white pepper to taste. Stir until combined, then turn heat to high. Once boiling, cover and turn heat to low. Simmer five minutes, then remove lid. Turn heat to medium high and cook for an additional five minutes, then remove from heat.
3. Transfer romanesco and onion into a medium bowl. Stir in tomato mixture and serve.

romanesco grown at Tree & Leaf Farm, via Freshfarm Dupont.

SHARE ON FACEBOOK | TWITTER | google +

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home